Knowing how to reset your Bluetooth headphones can solve plenty of issues you have with your wireless headset.
Bluetooth headphones are so much more convenient than wired headsets. Unfortunately, they can be finicky at times.
Does your headset seem to be working one day and just stop working the next? Does it suddenly stop pairing with your smartphone and you have no idea why? Is the sound coming from your headphones crowded with static?
You’re not alone. Most people experience these issues with their Bluetooth headphones. And it’s not because they have low-quality headphones. It’s simply because manufacturers haven’t perfected Bluetooth technology yet.
The good news?
You don’t have to buy a new headset every time the Bluetooth connection acts up. There are some things you can do to solve most of the issues you face with Bluetooth headphones.
Why Resetting Your Bluetooth Headphones Makes Sense
If your Bluetooth headphones won’t turn on, it’s probably not broken. You simply need to reset it.
In fact, you can solve many problems with a Bluetooth headset with a quick factory reset, such as:
- If your Bluetooth headset won’t connect with your smartphone or laptop
- If your smartphone can’t find your Bluetooth headphones
- If your device can find the headphones, but the two won’t pair successfully
- If your headphones keep disconnecting from your device, even though they’re both fully charged
- If you’re watching a video and the audio is delayed
- If the sound is full of static
Most of the time, it’s not a hardware issue you’re facing. It’s simply a connectivity issue that you can fix by resetting your headphones.
Sometimes, you may be dealing with a software issue. For example, if you have installed updates for your smartphone or firmware changes for your headphones, you may need to do a reset so that the headset works again.
A General Guide to Resetting Bluetooth Headphones
Although different brands of headphones have their unique way of resetting their connection, there is a general guide to reset most Bluetooth headphones.
- Locate the power button.
- Press and hold the power button
- Keep holding the button until the Bluetooth headset’s light indicator flashes blue or red
How to Reset Bluetooth Headphones According to Brand
If the above general guide doesn’t work for you, this section will be helpful as we go through the Bluetooth reset procedures according to different brands. It takes out the guesswork and gives you a specific procedure for resetting your headphones.
Here are the different brands that we have found for you:
How to Reset Bose Headphones
- Disconnect your headphones from all cables.
- Plug the charger to an outlet. Alternatively, you may also connect one end of the USB cable to a computer that is turned on.
- Press and hold the power button. At the same time, connect the other end of the USB cable to the USB-C port on the right earcup.
- Wait for the Bluetooth light to blink blue.
- Release the power button.
Find out more: Bose
How to Reset Beats Headphones
- Unplug the headphones from their charging port.
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the LED light to blink to indicate that you have successfully reset your headphones.
For example, to reset the Beats Solo Pro, press and hold the mode and volume down buttons. If you have the Beats Studio Wireless, press and hold the power button.
Find out more: Beats
How to Reset Skullcandy Headphones
- On your laptop or smartphone, delete your Skullcandy headphones from your list of paired devices.
- Press and hold both volume up and down buttons on the right earcup.
- Wait for the two LED indicator lights to flash yellow to let you know the headphones have been reset.
Find out more: Skullcandy
How to Reset MPOW Headphones
- Turn off your MPOW headphones and put them in the charging box.
- Press and hold the power button.
- Wait for the red and white lights to blink alternately. In some models, you will see blue and red lights.
- Go to your device’s Bluetooth settings and pair it again. If it asks for a PIN, type in “0000.”
- Wait for the blue Bluetooth light to flash. You will also hear an indication voice saying, “Connected.”
Find out more: MPOW
How to Reset ONN Headphones
- Turn off your ONN headphones.
- Hold down the power button for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the red and blue LED lights to blink.
- Reconnect with your device.
If it doesn’t, you may have to play around with other button combinations to reset your headphones.
Find out more: ONN
How to Reset TaoTronics Headphones
- Unpair your TaoTronics headphones from your device.
- Put the headphones back in their box.
- Quickly tap each of the headphones three times.
- Wait for the white LED lights to flash. This pairs the left and right headphones with each other.
- Take the headphones out of the box and press the touch-sensitive controls on both headphones for five seconds.
- Wait for the indicator lights to flash red and blue. This resets the headphones.
To solve this problem, put the headphones back in the box and reset them again. Make sure to press the controls on both headphones at the same time.
Find out more: Techonify
How to Reset Sony Headphones
- Turn off your Sony headset.
- Press and hold the power and play/pause button simultaneously for four seconds.
- Wait for the blue indicator light to flash.
Find out more: Sony
How to Reset JBL Headphones
- Turn off your JBL headphones by pressing the power button on the right earcup. You will hear a sound to confirm that your headphones have been turned off.
- Press and hold the volume up and volume down buttons on the right earcup at the same time for 20 seconds.
- Release the buttons. You will hear a sound that indicates your JBL headphones have been reset.
Find out more: Max Dalton
How to Reset Blackweb Headphones
- Unpair your Blackweb headphones from your device.
- Press the power button to turn off the headphones.
- Press the power button again and hold for five seconds. This will turn on the alternating blue and red light.
- The headphones have been reset and can now be paired with your device.
Find out more: Blackweb
How to Reset Poly (Formerly Plantronics) Headphones
- Turn on your Poly headphones by pressing the power button. A blue light will appear to indicate that the headset is on.
- Press and hold the power and volume down buttons together until the blue light turns off.
- Wait for 60 seconds until the reset is complete.
- Turn your Poly headphones on again by pressing the power button.
Once the headset is plugged, press the power button and wait for the red and blue indicator lights to turn on.
Find out more: Poly
How to Reset Jabra Headphones
- Turn on your Jabra headphones.
- Press and hold the answer/end call and volume down buttons simultaneously for five seconds.
- Wait for the battery icon and Bluetooth icon to flash five times. This indicates that your headphones have been reset.
- Turn off your Jabra headset and turn it on again. You can now pair your headphones with your device.
Find out more: Jabra
How to Reset Bluedio Headphones
- Turn off your Bluedio headphones.
- Press and hold the answer/end call and play/pause buttons at the same time.
- Wait for the blue LED light to blink three times.
Find out more: Kenneth Tanaka
What If the Reset Doesn’t Work?
If the reset didn’t do anything, there are many other things you can try to solve your Bluetooth problems.
- Make sure your device’s Bluetooth is turned on.
- Unpair all devices connected to your headset.
- Restart your smartphone or laptop.
- Delete your headset from your device and rediscover it.
- Make sure your headset is in close proximity to your device.
- Charge your headset and your device.
- Move away from possible interferences, such as your wi-fi router or a USB 3.0 port.
- Update your Bluetooth headset’s firmware.
And if all else fails, take your headphones to a professional repair centre and get it fixed or replaced.
Learning how to reset your Bluetooth headphones is valuable.
When you want to listen to your favorite music, watch videos, or take calls hands-free without a hitch, knowing how to do a reset can do the trick if you’re running up against headset issues.
Of course, there are other quick fixes you can do, which we outlined above. If we missed any, let us know in the comments below.