Learn the different ways on how you can connect Bluetooth headphones to Switch. And, discover the best accessories for a top-notch wireless headphone experience.
Nintendo Switch is one of the favorite consoles for people who prefer portability. And what better way to improve portability and convenience than partnering it up with a pair of wireless headphones?
However, connecting Bluetooth headphones to Switch is easier said than done.
In fact, until the latest upgrade, it wasn’t even possible! Thus, leaving many gamers no choice but to stick with wired headphones.
Good news, though! There are actually a few workarounds that can help you connect Bluetooth headphones to Switch. And this article will go through all that. So without further ado, let’s start!
Quick LinksClick on the links to jump to the relevant section.
- Can You Connect Bluetooth Headphones to Switch?
- How to Use Wireless Headphones on Switch in Docked Mode
- How to Use Wireless Headphones on Switch in Handheld Mode
- How to Use Bluetooth Headphones on Switch Without Buying a Dongle
- Best Bluetooth Audio Transmitters for Nintendo Switch
Can You Connect Bluetooth Headphones to Switch?
The short answer is: yes!
As mentioned earlier, it wasn’t possible to use Bluetooth headphones to Switch a few years ago. This is mostly because Nintendo reserved its Bluetooth connectivity with controllers and got no space for audio networks.
However, the 4.0 Switch system update sneakily addressed this one.
To be clear, the update didn’t make it possible to connect the Bluetooth headset directly to the Switch system. So unlike connecting your bluetooth headphones to any other devices, this won’t go as simple and will need a workaround.
How to Use Wireless Headphones on Switch in Docked Mode
If you want to use your wireless headphones while on docked mode, you’re going to need a USB dongle. Investing in a Bluetooth headset that already comes with a USB dongle is your best bet. However, you can also opt to buy a separate USB dongle if your current headphones don’t have one.
Before proceeding with any of the steps below, make sure to turn your headphones into ‘pairing mode’. Doing this depends on the brand, model, and type of device. But most of the time, like in the case of SONY WF-1000XM3, this only requires you to press and hold the power or Bluetooth button until the light flashes red and blue. For best results, consult your manufacturer’s guide.
Follow these steps:
- Take your USB dongle and insert it on a free USB port on your Nintendo dock.
- You’ll see a notification on your screen saying that the USB audio mode is active. A volume level also automatically shows. Adjust this as desired.
Check out this youtube tutorial to see how it’s done.
How to Use Wireless Headphones on Switch in Handheld Mode
But compared to the docked method above, additional steps and accessories are necessary for wireless headphones to work in handheld mode. Read through the following sections to find out more.
Using the USB-C port
The Nintendo Switch’s USB-C port is located at the middle-bottom part of the device. This port is specifically intended for charging and docking. With the right audio transceiver and adapter, you can use this port to enable Bluetooth headphone connectivity.
Follow this tutorial to know more:
- Get yourself a Creative BT-W2 Portable Bluetooth Audio Transceiver. This is compatible with PC, Mac, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
- Since the audio transceiver is a USB Type-A and the Nintendo Switch’s USB port is Type-C, you’re also going to need an adapter. This tutorial used the Aukey USB Adapter. But any USB-A to USB-C adapter will do.
- Plug in the adapter into the audio transceiver.
- Insert this into the USB-C port of your Nintendo Switch.
- Turn on your Nintendo Switch by pressing the power button.
- Hold down the button at the bottom of the audio transmitter for about five seconds.
- Turn your headphones to pairing mode.There are different ways to do this depending on your headphone model. If unsure, refer to your manufacturer’s guide.
- A few seconds after the pairing mode, the headset and the audio transmitter should connect automatically.
Using the 3.5mm jack
Another way to enable Bluetooth headphone connectivity is to use an accessory that’s compatible with the Switch’s 3.5 mm jack.
Follow these steps:
- Set your wireless headphones to pairing mode.
- Press and hold down the multifunctional button on the upper portion of the transmitter for three seconds. You’ll know it’s turned on when the white light flashes every five seconds.
- Plug in the audio transmitter into the 3.5 mm audio jack of your device. Press the multifunction button twice to force it into pairing mode. Red and blue lights will flash alternately when it enters pairing mode.
- You’ll know if the pairing is successful once the white light flashes every ten seconds.
How to Use Bluetooth Headphones on Switch Without Buying a Dongle
If you want to use your wireless headset without buying any additional accessory or add-on, you can try this method. You only need three things for this: your Switch, a laptop or a PC, and a compatible AUX cord.
- Plug-in your AUX cord to your Nintendo Switch and your laptop.
- A small window will appear. Choose ‘Line-in’.
- Turn on your headphones’ and laptop’s Bluetooth. Then, connect your Bluetooth headphones to your PC or your Mac.Pair your devices (From: Press Kevin To Continue/Youtube)
For a video illustration of how it’s done, refer to this Youtube tutorial.
Alternatively, you can also connect your docked Nintendo Switch to TV, then connect your headphones to your TV. If you’re not sure how, head to our guide on how to connect Bluetooth headphones to TV.
Best Bluetooth Audio Transmitters for Nintendo Switch
Besides those mentioned above, another great way to connect Bluetooth headphones to Switch is to use audio transmitters. If you’re looking for the best Bluetooth audio transmitters for your Switch, check out the list below.
Homespot Bluetooth Audio Transmitter
This Homespot Bluetooth Audio Transmitter is exclusively made for the Nintendo Switch. It has a high fidelity audio streaming feature that can be used in both headphones or speakers. Moreover, it is compatible with both Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite.
It can be used to stream audio to two headphones at the same time. It is also the first Nintendo Switch Bluetooth audio transmitter that has a built-in microphone.
The downside to this is that it doesn’t have a USB-C pass-through charging port. Also, you can’t use this Nintendo Switch Bluetooth Adapter while on dock mode.
GuliKit Route Air Pro
This GuliKit Route Air Pro Bluetooth Adapter features a ceramic antenna that provides up to 10 meters barrier-free transmission. It comes with a Bluetooth audio adapter, a 3.5 mm jack mic accessory, and a USB-C to USB-A Adapter.
It is compatible not only with Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite but also with PS4 and PC. Like the previous one, its aptX feature will only be available if the headphones you’re using also supports this feature. You can also use this USB dongle when connecting your Bluetooth headphones to Xbox One.
Genki Bluetooth Audio Transmitter
This Genki Bluetooth Audio Transmitter features a dual headphone connectivity technology. This feature works great for multiplayer games. It allows two headphones to connect to one adapter simultaneously.
It comes with an audio adapter, a boom mic accessory, and a USB adapter for dock mode. It’s compatible with PS4, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Android, iOS, Windows PC, and Mac.
With these tips, you can now reclaim your freedom. No more tangled wires, no more frayed cables, and definitely no more sudden fall-offs due to accidental wire sweepages. You can now enjoy a freer and wider range of motion compared to using wired headphones while playing with your beloved Nintendo Switch.
Of course, this wouldn’t be possible without a decent wireless gaming headset. If you’re still looking for one, feel free to check out our list of the most recommended wireless gaming headsets today.
We hope that these tips helped you achieve a great Switch wireless headphone experience. If you tried any of these tips, make sure to leave us a comment below. Also, if you have any more tips you want to add, feel free to share them as well. We love hearing from you!