We independently review all our recommendations. Purchases made via our links may earn us a commission. Learn more ❯
Choose-your-own IEM adventure.
You say I can take an IEM of my choice on the go with no wires? Oh yeah!!! Super excited about these, as they hold the promise of not making many audio compromises when out and about.
- Excellent build, fit, and finish
- Sturdy, well-built with easy-to-use physical buttons
- Light and very comfortable for extended listening
- Strong amplification
- Secure and comfortable fit
- Bluetooth 5.2
- Long range and connection stability
- Overall sound quality and bluetooth performance
- Long battery life
- Good carrying case and accessories
- East swappable connections for different IEMs
- No volume controls
- Noise/hiss with sensitive IEMs
- Despite cVc 8.0, microphone pickup is hyper sensitive with no functional noise filtering (calls are not advisable except in an emergency)
- Charging and storage case will not hold IEMs, only BT30 and ear hook adapters
One major upgrade in functionality for many IEMs can be discovered by connecting to TRN’s BT30 TWS Bluetooth Earphone Modules (True Wireless Stereo), especially for listening on the go and when wires will get in your way. They have impressive credentials, including Bluetooth 5.2, apt-X/AAC/SBC high-definition codecs, and 6.5 hours playback time (20 hours with charging case).
Having just finished my review of the highly competent TRN VX Pro, which pair beautifully with the BT30, I am even more excited to give these a spin in my day-to-day real world outings.
Launched in 2017, the TRN brand belongs to Dongguan Zuodu Acoustic Technology Co., Ltd. TRN produces a range of High Fidelity (Hi-Fi) IEMs, Bluetooth TWS earphones, cables, and ear tips, most of which are accessible, budget-friendly options that appear to offer high value for price.
If you’re a fan of Chi-Fi, TRN is likely a familiar name to you. They have quite a catalog for a young brand, and have made some highly popular and well-regarded products thus far.
- Chipset: Qualcomm QCC3040 supporting Bluetooth 5.2
- Bluetooth Encoding: apt-X/AAC/SBC high-definition codecs
- Power: MAX97220A amplifier with >42mW of power @ 16 Ohms, and a SNR of >98dB
- Effective signal range: 15m (website info; printed manual claims 10m)
- Noise Cancellation Technology: cVc 8.0
- Connections: swappable earpiece connectors (2-pin .75mm and .78mm, MMCX)
- Case: 700mAh portable charging case, USB-C
- Modules charging time: 1.5-2 hours
- Charging case charging time: 2.5-3 hours
- Playback: 6.5 hours, 20 hours with charging case
- Waterproof and sweat-resistance: nano-coating for moisture protection
- Weight: 8g (per earpiece)
Clean, simple, and well-constructed. Inside the box is a well-made zippered case that holds the BT30 modules. Inside that case is a net mesh pocket that can hold the USB-CC charging cable and extra connectors.
In the box
- TRN BT30 true wireless Bluetooth earphone modules
- Black faux leather carry, charging, and storage case
- USB-C charging cable
- User guide
- Warranty card
- Inspection qualification card
The BT30 are well made and feel sturdy. The modules are a combination of plastic and soft, flexible, hypoallergenic thermoplastic elastomer (TPE). The singular button on each module is aluminum alloy, providing a properly resistant tactile press.
The ear hooks fit perfectly and attach securely. The shape of the main body is thin enough to not put any noticeable pressure on or behind the ear. They are also compact enough to not excessively stick out from behind your ears.
The charging case is excellent, everything fits perfectly and securely, with the modules pulled securely into place magnetically for charging.
The ear hooks are soft enough to be pliable and strong enough to hold securely. I am surprised how well they position the IEMs and fit me each time I wear them. They are comfortable for long listening sessions.
TRN BT30 Performance
The onboard MAX97220A amplifiers with >42mW of power @ 16Ohms, and a SNR of >98dB, means that the BT30 should easily power most IEMs.
Overall performance varies with application. Audio quality with the BT30 is generally excellent, though ever-present low-level signal noise is apparent with highly sensitive IEMs, like the VX Pro. The hiss can be annoying, more to some people than others. If you are not listening to audiobooks or quiet music, it is not likely to be a bother.
It’s best to do your homework to ensure that your chosen IEMs will fit with the BT30 adapters.
The recessed 2-pin connectors of the Fearless Audio Shangri-La or Provence will not make a secure connection. In addition, while the BT30 are resistant to moisture and great for workouts and training, your IEMs may not be. This is where the advantage goes to TWS earphones specifically designed for training.
There is another oversight: the volume is not adjustable in any way, physically on the device or with a companion app. The only way to adjust is via your source, not the most convenient if the point is to have freedom from wires and your source device.
I strongly recommend that you turn them on before you put them in your ears.
The built-in power on announcement is absurdly loud (borderline painful) with sensitive IEMs – a very unpleasant user experience.
Where to Buy
The wireless BT30 bluetooth TWS adapters are a good complement for true wireless high performance on the go.
The BT30 are simple, attractive, well-made, and competent technical performers that will satisfy a wide variety of listeners. They deliver a clear and detailed wide-frequency sound with excellent imaging and an expansive soundstage, presenting quality audio in their own unique way.
There are competitive alternatives on the market now for varying prices. TRN has done a commendable job with the BT30 as a basic model without lots of bells and whistles (or a companion app). The functional omissions are, for me, not a deal-breaker.
These are my go-to options for the gym now, especially when doing lots of movements that can shake TWS earphones loose or alter the sound from changing pressure/gravity. If the BT30 suit your needs, you will enjoy them!