Can you use your AirPods even without the case? Let’s find out!
You found yourself out of the house with your AirPods in your ears, but realize you’ve left the case behind. And now you have no idea how to connect them without the case.
Even worse, you won’t be home for a few days, leaving you to wonder how you’ll use AirPods without the case.
What if we told you that you can turn on, connect, and use your AirPods – even without their charging case? Let’s dive in to find out!
Can You Use AirPods Without the Case?
Yes, your AirPods can still be turned on without the case.
However, just because you can use them does not mean it will be easy or you’ll be able to do the things you’re typically able to. In fact, the AirPods case is used for a number of reasons:
- Using the setup button: This button allows you to reset your AirPods and perform a manual connection to a non-iOS device, such as an Android phone.
- Automatic connection: When opened, your AirPods case will automatically connect your AirPods to previously used iOS devices. If you have your case on you, you can simply pull your AirPods out and get going.
- Charging: The AirPods case has a charging port and holds several additional full charges to allow you to power your AirPods on the go.
- Checking AirPods status: The flashing light on your AirPods case can tell you about the status of your AirPods. Your AirPods flashing orange, for example, means they are experiencing a pairing error.
- Hold and protect your AirPods: The most obvious of all reasons why a charging case for your AirPods is so essential is that it protects the earbuds from external damage.
How to Connect AirPods Without the Case
The good news is: while the case is always involved in pairing with devices for the first time, it isn’t required when reconnecting. This means you can still connect your AirPods to devices you have already previously paired with. Because of this, you won’t need your case with you at all times to use your AirPods.
However, the steps will be slightly different depending on your device. Read on to find out how you can connect your AirPods with different devices, even without the case.
One of the more frustrating situations iOS users can find themselves in is not having their AirPods case nearby. Without it, the convenient auto-pairing feature won’t work.
Luckily, there is a sneaky workaround via Apple’s AirPlay feature.
AirPlay’s main function is to share media on your phone directly to your speakers, Apple TV, or other smart TVs. But since AirPlay deals with sound, we can also use it to connect with AirPods even without the case. Here’s how:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the Control Center and tap the Bluetooth icon to turn it on.
- Tap the Audio Card in the upper-right corner of the menu.
- Click on the AirPlay icon.
- Select your previously paired AirPods.
Your Android phone will treat AirPods differently than an iOS phone in many ways. One way is that your Android will take your AirPods to be like any other Bluetooth device. This means they can be connected again without the case.
Here is how to turn on AirPods without a case when using an Android phone:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Bluetooth under Connections.
- Select your previously paired AirPods to complete the process.
For Windows PC
Like in the case of Android devices, your Windows PC will consider your AirPods regular Bluetooth headphones.
If you are familiar with connecting other Bluetooth headphones to your PC, connecting AirPods to a PC might seem familiar. Regardless, here’s how to do it:
- Type “Bluetooth” in the Windows search box.
- Click “Bluetooth and other device settings.”
- Find and select your AirPods under Audio to initiate the connection.
Surprisingly, the Mac acts more like a Windows computer with AirPods than it does most things. That’s why connecting AirPods to Mac without a case is relatively simple. Here’s how:
- Click the Bluetooth symbol in the upper-right portion of your screen.
- Select your AirPods.
Can You Charge AirPods Without the Case?
No – while you can use AirPods without the case, the only way to charge AirPods is through the official case.
There are rumors of methods to charge AirPods without a case, using a pin charger or an app. However, for your and your AirPods’ safety, we suggest you avoid these methods.
Unless you are a highly skilled electrical engineer, inserting unauthorized wires into your AirPods is dangerous. AirPods are explicitly designed to be charged with an AirPods case and nothing else.
Simple solutions like a narrow pin case sound like a neat hack but could ultimately be dangerous. You could end up hurting your AirPods or even yourself.
Apps will also not work to charge your AirPods as they are not an energy source. Apps are available to check your battery level but cannot feed it power. Avoid sketchy sites that promise otherwise.
Remember this: apps do not provide power – apps use power.
Instead, the best course of action is to buy a replacement AirPods case or get yours repaired.
Be sure to do this with Apple and not a third party. As we’ve mentioned before, going through Apple Support ensures you won’t get a fake product, and if a problem arises, you can get a second replacement easily.
As fancy as it may be, the AirPods charging case is an undeniable part of the Apple AirPods package, and your earbuds work best when you have a working case nearby.
However, if you’re always on the go and find it burdensome to carry the case along everywhere, you now know ways you can turn on your AirPods even without the case. Or help them connect even if you only have a dead case.
So, what about you? Are you always running out the door with your AirPods in your ears but the case outside your pocket? Are you reading this article in frustration, about a mile or two from home? We want to know if our tips helped you fix the situation! Please leave a comment below.