One simple adapter trick that Bluetooth-less PCs don’t want you to know.
Any devices equipped with Bluetooth are able to connect to the AirPods.
But what about Windows PCs that lack integrated Bluetooth support?
This is where the Bluetooth adapter, or dongle, comes into play.
Read on as we guide you through the process to connect your AirPods to your Bluetooth-less PC.
Step 1. Put AirPods in Pairing Mode
- Set your AirPods to pairing mode by opening the case and pressing and holding the setup button until you see the status light blinking white.
Step 2. Plug in Bluetooth Adapter and Pair With AirPods
- Using the USB Type C to USB adapter that comes with the Gulikit Route Air Pro kit, plug the Bluetooth adapter into your PC.
- Hold the pairing button (A or B) for about four seconds. You should see a blinking white LED.
- Wait until the white LED stops blinking, which means your AirPods are successfully paired.
Watch how we connect our Gulikit Route Air Pro kit to the PC and set it to pairing mode here:
Best Bluetooth Adapters for Connecting PC to AirPods
If you haven’t tried Bluetooth adapters or Bluetooth dongles before, or you’re on the lookout for a new one, it’s nice to have a few options to compare.
Here are some of our top picks:
- Twelve South AirFly Pro: This is an excellent option for those looking for a Bluetooth adapter with a 3.5mm audio jack, and can connect up to two headphones at once. However, unlike other adapters, the AirFly Pro needs to be charged every 25 hours of use. The good news is that this can be used even while charging.
- ASUS USB-BT500: This is an excellent option for anyone looking for a compact yet reliable Bluetooth adapter. Its ultra-small form factor means it won’t be an obstruction to other ports. The reliable Bluetooth 5.0 technology allows for speedy pairing and better overall connection and also supports mic input.
- Gulikit Route Air: The kit comes with a USB-C to USB-A adapter, so you can connect it easily to your desktop. Its advanced ceramic antenna allows you to go up to 10 meters from your PC without losing audio transmission. It also offers support for dual connections.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why won’t AirPods connect to my Bluetooth adapter?
- Can I connect my AirPods via wire?
- Can I use my mic when connecting AirPods to a PC via Bluetooth adapter?
Why won’t AirPods connect to my Bluetooth adapter?
Some Bluetooth adapters automatically connect with AirPods, while others require a manual setup. So, it’s best to consult the device’s manual to ensure you’re following each step correctly.
Can I connect my AirPods via wire?
No, this option is only available for AirPods Max.
Can I use my mic when connecting AirPods to a PC via Bluetooth adapter?
Yes, but the process depends on your Bluetooth adapter. With some Bluetooth adapters, your AirPods will show up as two devices on your PC. If this is the case, you need to connect to the ‘hands-free’ option to use your AirPods mic. Then, switch to the ‘Stereo’ option if you only need to listen to audio.
With other Bluetooth adapters, though, AirPods show as just one device on the PC, which means you can use your AirPods’ mic anytime.